When it’s time to shop for new bedroom furniture, it’s important to take the right approach. While you might not have given much thought to your bedroom furniture in the past, having the right bedroom furniture can make a big difference in how you feel at the end of the day.
In other words, a bedroom is more than just a place to sleep. If you choose wisely, your bedroom furniture can make the room into a place where you can relax, unwind, and recover from the stresses of the day.
Here are the things you should keep in mind as you shop for new bedroom furniture.
How large is your bedroom? You should measure it in several different ways to ensure that you get the right bedroom furniture:
- First, measure the area of the room. The amount of floor space you have will determine which furniture you buy, and it is especially important when determining the size of your mattress.
- Second, measure the height of the ceilings. If you plan on buying anything tall, such as a bookcase or an armoire, you want to make sure that it will fit in the space you have.
- Third, measure the width and height of the bedroom door. The last thing you want is to buy a piece of furniture that you can’t get into the room.
Write down all of your measurements and bring them with you when you go bedroom furniture shopping.
Focus on Basic Items First
If you have a small bedroom, you may be limited in terms of what bedroom furniture you can buy. Every bedroom needs these basic items.
- A bed
- A nightstand
- A chest of drawers
Depending on the amount of space you have, you may want to consider optional items such as:
- An arm chair or a rocking chair
- A desk
- A bookcase
- An armoire
- A vanity
Take your time and think about which bedroom furniture pieces you want to buy.
Bedroom Furniture Style
The next thing to consider is what style of bedroom furniture you want to buy. One way to decide is to look at the architecture of your bedroom and figure out what would look best in it. For example:
- If you live in a rustic house, then furniture in a rustic style would probably suit your bedroom very well. Look for bedroom furniture sets made out of rough-hewn, natural wood.
- If you live in a traditional suburban home, then clean and modern furniture, or alternatively simple, classic furniture might be a good fit.
- People who live in older homes, such as Victorian homes or Tudors, might want to choose classical, elegant, or antique furniture with a lot of character.
- Finally, if you live in a modern apartment or condo, then sleek, modern, or even futuristic bedroom furniture would probably suit your space very well.
Of course there’s no rule saying that you can’t break these rules. The most important thing is to choose a bedroom set that suits your personal taste and style.
Bedroom Furniture Quality
The next thing to think about is the quality of the bedroom furniture you buy. You want to focus on finding sturdy, well-built bedroom furniture that will last for a long time to come.
When you’re in the store, take your time, Lift the bed frame to test its weight and durability. Open and close all of the drawers in any dresser or night table you might be considering.
It’s also a good idea to make sure you know what comes with the furniture you are buying. Sometimes, furniture stores display bedroom furniture in ways that can be somewhat deceptive. For example, you might see a chest of drawers with a mirror on top of it. Make sure to ask whether the mirror is included with the bedroom furniture set or if you have to buy it separately.
The final thing to consider when shopping or a new bedroom furniture set is how much you can afford to spend. As a rule, it’s a good idea to buy the best quality furniture you can get for the budget you have in mind.
Work out your budget before you go to any furniture stores. In addition to determining how much you can spend, you should also research whether the stores you visit have financing options for bedroom furniture. Many stores offer financing with no interest for the first six months or year, and that can make financing affordable when it otherwise might not be.
Choosing the right bedroom furniture set can have a big impact on the quality of your sleep and your level of satisfaction when you retire to your bedroom at night. Following the simple steps in this guide will ensure that you get the perfect bedroom furniture set for your space.